At least I think it is number five. This customer is a beginner quilter and although there are a few pressing techniques I want to go over with her on the quilt I think the colour choices she made were bang on! This is a very pretty quilt and suits her to a ‘T’. A rose and mint green floral fabric was used for the kaleidoscopes and one border and she picked a lovely soft mint green blender for the sashing and accent borders. The contrast fabric for background and outer border are a beautiful mottled deep rose. I know the pictures don’t show the colours right.
She will be keeping this quilt so we wanted to do something a little special. She wanted feathers so after outlining all the sashing, borders and stars I did a mini fantasy feather around the stars for background fill. First time I’ve made this technique this small and I really like it.
On the other quilts like this I’ve ‘stitched in the ditch’ for the 9-patch corner stones but this time I only outlined them. I used the high-loft Dream Puff Poly and they look like little 9-patch pillows!
The first rose border I did a meandering rose bud and leaf vine. The first mint border is left so it puffs up like the mint sashing. The quilting wouldn’t really show clearly in the rose border so I did a simple leaf meander.
Now, the outer border caused a little bit of a problem as I hadn’t made a note of the fact that the side strips are wider than the top and bottom strips. I had a vague memory of talking about it with her but couldn’t remember whether she was going to even them up after or just what. So a phone call was in order – hate to do that because I think I sound scatter-brained (I may be but no sense in letting my customers know it too!) Sure enough the C curl feather border I had planned and started to chalk wouldn’t work because there would be no trimming as she needed the different sized strips so it would fit her bed. Back to the drawing board.
The side strip was 7.5″ and the top and bottom strips were only 5.5″. I had it locked in my head the C curl feather and it took a few hours of trying different ideas and chalking it out before I had to accept that I had to do an overall design in here or the scale of the quilting would end up smaller on the top and the bottom. I through feathers and leaves and rose-buds all together into a ‘doodle’ type of meandering and while the C curl feather border would have formalized the quilt this pattern looks good too.
The outer mint border was done with a simple C curl.
I’ve included a picture of the back because, as usual, the quilting shows up much better LOL